IKO Kitesurf levels
IKO kitesurf levels
At BKS we have developed with great care a successful learning IKO method which provides progress for students of all levels. All our lessons are given by certified IKO-instructors. Every student will receive an IKO level certificate after completing their course. The courses will be adjusted from beginners, intermediate and advanced level. This gives every student the opportunity to progress within their own level and pace. (Click on the levels to read more)
Kitesurfing level 1 on land
Description: The first part of this program will take you through the steps of equipment set up, the launching and piloting of the kite, basic skills and safety,.
Entry level: No experience needed.
Duration: 3 hours
- Identifying safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- Recognizing the hazards of a spot
- Setting up a trainer kite
- Knowing how to use the safety systems
- Carry and handle the kite properly
- Learning basic flying skills with a trainer kite
- Knowing how to launch & land a trainer kite with an assistant
- Twisting and untwisting the kite lines while flying the kite
- Walking & changing directions while flying the kite
- Setting-up a 4/5 line kite with a full de-power system
- Pre-flight safety checking of all equipment and settings
- In-flight safety checking of all equipment and settings
- Pulling the quick release and activating the kite leash
- Understanding and using the international communication signals
- Launching and landing the kite to an assistant and as an assistant (4/5-line de-power kite)
- Controlling the kite hooked into the harness (using two and one hand)
- Understanding the de-power system and the use of the safety systems
- Learning advanced flying skills with the de-power kite
- Showing full control of de-power systems in flight
- Self landing
- Recovering the bar and kite
Kiteboarder Level 2 in the water
Description: By the end of the Discovery program, you will be piloting an inflatable kite, Understanding the de-power system and the use of the safety systems,
Learn to water-relanch and body dragging in the water and self rescue technical, theory of water start, get up on the board for your first rides.
Entry level: Kiteboarder level 1 or equivalent skill level.
Duration: 3 to 6 hours
- Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite
- Water re-launch the kite
- Body drag downwind
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window
- Change direction to the left and right while body dragging
- Self-rescue and full pack-down in deep water
- Upwind body drag to recover board
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand
- Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging
- Know the power stroke for a water start
- Know the safety rules and theory for water start
- Can put the board on the feet and maintain the correct position for water start
- Water starts in both directions and ride a short distance
- Come to a controlled stop
- Understand weather forecast, tidal- and wind effects
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality
- Know the right of way rules
- Know equipment set up and choice according to the weather conditions
Students learn to ride by themselves and become proficient in all of the following.
Description: You will be able to control riding speed, upwind, transitions and maybe the first jump! During this program, you will learn how to manage your practice and enjoy it in a safe way.
Duration: 15h + and of cours depending on personal skills and wind conditions.
Entry level: Kiteboarder level 2 or equivalent skill level.
- Controlling the riding speed by edging
- Toe side edging
- Consistently riding in all directions including upwind
- Riding amongst other riders and water users and respect “Right of Way” rules
- Changing of direction without stopping
- Make a toe side turn
- Making risk assessment and becoming aware of the riding are
- Knowing the theory and the safety rules for jumping
- Landing a basic jump
- N 27, Rue Lalla Hassna Quartier-des dunes 44000 Essaouira Morocco